Wednesday, July 16, 2014

For the love of Yeast



I should be doing laundry right now. I can hear my mother chiming in over my shoulder telling me “if you just did a load, put it in the dryer and folded and put it away right then and there you wouldn’t have such a mountain and such a mess.” She’s right. But lucky me the laundry is hidden far away in the basement on the cold cement floor with some floating cobwebs whispering about. Now you want to go down there and do it? Often times I forget I even have a load in and I have to re wash it. Now you see why I am in the exact predicament I am in.

It is because today I keep dreaming of yeast. Of buttery brioche, of warm cinnamon buns slathered in cream cheese icing, of honey wheat bread toasted with some ricotta cheese and honey. All of that is just so much more appealing than doing laundry don’t you think? Id so much rather be elbow deep in flour than knee deep in my horrendous laundry piles.
Because its late morning while I’m musing all about yeast and its amazing possibilities, it’s a bit late in the day to start some of those items. I for one am an early morning baker who is at her best at 6am after a large iced coffee with milk and sugar and of course with a straw and always iced, never hot. I figure I’ve got time for easy yeast. Which got me thinking of PIZZA DOUGH! Now my pizza can be savory or sweet or maybe both. I’m in one of those kinds of moods. As much as I love the all-daytime consuming recipes sometimes the one-bowl five-minute masterpieces are a refreshing change. And because I still want to watch jersey girl while Nate takes a hopeful 2 and half hour nap. This pizza dough is super fast and super versatile. All you need is one bowl, a few hours and a warmish place. Or just turn your AC off when you leave the house for the day or for an errand.

PIZZA DOUGH:
3 cups all purpose flour
1 and ¼ cup very warm water
¾ tsp. dry active yeast
1 tbsp. honey
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp. kosher salt

Because sometimes I don’t feel like picking dough off my fingernails I like to wear disposable gloves to mix the dough. But I always wash my hands well with soap and water before cooking. Number one rule in the kitchen, you had better start with clean hands.

In a large bowl combine all the ingredients, mix well with your hands and knead on your counter for a few minutes until the dough is soft and satiny. As with all bread type dough’s if it feels a little too sticky add a bit of flour to the counter and knead in. if the dough is a little too dry add some water.
Spray that very same bowl you mixed the dough in with some non-stick cooking spray, place your dough in and cover with a clean kitchen towel.
Leave to rise for a few hours or until doubled in size. You can proof in the oven if you’ve got the proofing mode and if you are in a rush. Just pay attention to the dough size. Alternatively you can allow the dough to rise over night in the fridge and use the next day. I have never frozen it but I can’t imagine why that would not work. I have frozen and defrosted the pizza dough from trader Joes and that has always been just fine.
When the dough is ready, preheat your oven to 400, I have a pizza setting on my oven so I just hit that button and slide a sheet pan in to warm. Roll the dough out the length of the sheet pan; be careful when taking the pan out of the oven! Drizzle a little olive oil on the tray and working carefully spread the dough on the pan and push to the corners with your fingers. Top with your favorite sauce and cheese or veggie combo and bake until the dough is lightly browned and the cheese is hot and bubbly, about 15 to 20 minutes.

While I sat here meandering yeast dough’s and pizza I thought about the grapes that sadly were not going to make it another few days. I guess you can say that I can easily food compartmentalize ;) Of course ill throw those babies in the freezer and whip up a fruit smoothie courtesy of my 30th early birthday present, my new favorite countertop appliance, the vitamix. Even Nate loves these fruit smoothies. He guzzled down my drink the other day and left me an inch in the cup and drooling trail of snot on the straw. Thanks Nate. But I am a HUGE fan of the savory and the sweet and my food wheels in my head start churning “oooh! Grapes and ricotta! And black olives and oregano…and I’ve got a red onion and oh my god I have to throw basil on that just because I planted basil and I haven’t yet killed it…and Aleppo pepper. And then just top that with mozzarella cheese and drizzle of olive oil…and then sprinkle with zaatar!!!!!!!!! Obsessed!!!” Yep, that tasted great in my head!

And it was great on the plate as well. And you are probably wondering to yourself, “Did her kids eat that?”  The answer to that question is a big FAT no way. Nate went to bed way before the pizza was ready and Jonah took one bite, said, “I don’t like this toasted, I want plain.” So he had a yogurt.
Well that was more for me then kids. The day they actually eat what I make for dinner will be the day the laundry gets washed, dried and folded. Miracles do happen mom. You can stop that laughing.


1 comment: